There are many causes of hair loss, so our dermatologists will ask many questions when diagnosing the cause of hair loss. Some questions Drs. Jenson and Edwards may ask include:
- Did the hair loss happen suddenly or gradually?
- What medicines do you take?
- Do you have any allergies?
- Have you been dieting?
Your answers should be as accurate as possible so that we can pinpoint the cause of your hair loss. Our dermatologists will examine your scalp and hair, and sometimes the rest of the hair on the rest of your body. This will allow them to determine if there is too much or too little hair in other areas. In some cases, we may take a scalp biopsy or a blood test. It is good to diagnose hair loss early so that it can also be treated early. Hair loss is harder to treat when the patient has already lost a lot of hair.
Our dermatologists may recommend one of the following treatments for hair loss in Orem, Utah:
- Hair transplantation: Skin on the scalp that has healthy hair growth is transplanted to areas of the scalp that need hair.
- Scalp reduction: The bald section of scalp is surgically removed and the scalp with hair is moved closer together to reduce balding.
- Scalp expansion: Devices are inserted under the scalp for three to four weeks to stretch the skin. This procedure can stretch hair-bearing areas.
The treatment chosen depends on how much hair has been lost. We welcome you to contact Kraig Jenson, PC, Dermatology Center today for more information and to schedule an appointment.