Melanoma is a type of skin cancer that when found and treated early, has a cure rate of nearly 100%. However, if melanoma is allowed to grow, it can spread to other parts of the body quickly. At this stage, melanoma can be deadly.
We stress the importance of looking at the moles on your skin, as this is a good way to detect melanoma early. When you check your skin, look for the ABCDEs of melanoma:
- Asymmetry: One half of the mole is different from the other.
- Border: A mole has an irregular or poorly defined border.
- Color: The mole’s color varies from one area to another. The mole has shades of tan, brown or black, or has areas that are white, red or blue.
- Diameter: Melanomas usually have a diameter greater than 6mm (the size of a pencil eraser) when they are diagnosed, but they can be smaller.
- Evolving: The mole looks different than the rest or is changing in shape, size or color.
If you have any of the above signs, Dr. Kraig K. Jenson, Byron Edwards or Dr. Devin Burr can treat melanoma in Orem, Utah. Our dermatologists will want to remove all of the cancer. If the cancer has not spread, it is possible for us to surgically remove the melanoma during an office visit. If the melanoma has grown deeper into the skin or spread, treatment is more complex. We may use surgery in addition to one of the following treatments:
- Targeted therapy
- Radiation therapy
To learn more and to schedule an appointment, contact Dermatology Center today at 801-224-5200.