Cellulitis and impetigo are skin infections. Cellulitis affects the skin and the soft tissues underneath. It occurs when there is a break in the skin and bacteria enters and spreads. This causes infection, which may cause swelling, redness, pain, and/or warmth. The following can cause cellulitis:
- Injuries that tear the skin
- Infection after surgery
- Long-term skin conditions
- Foreign objects in the skin
- Bone infections under the skin
Cellulitis can appear almost anywhere on the body. The following are common symptoms:
- Red streaking
- Pain or tenderness
- Leaking of yellow, clear fluid or pus
Impetigo is caused by bacteria-strep. The bacteria often enters the body when the skin is irritated or injured. However, impetigo can develop in completely healthy skin. If you have one or more if the following symptoms, you may have impetigo:
- Small red spots that change to blisters that eventually break open. The sores are not usually painful, but they may be itchy.
- Sores that ooze fluid and look crusty.
- Sores that increase in number or size. Sores can be as small as a pimple or larger than a coin.
If you have any of these symptoms, Dr. Jenson and Dr. Edwards can treat impetigo and cellulitis in Orem, Utah. We invite you to contact Kraig Jenson, PC, Dermatology Center today to learn more and to schedule an appointment with our dermatologists.